Monday 31 October 2011

Bali 1

My oldest daughter and I have just been on a three day trip to Bali. It was my first time there and I was quite excited. Bali is a Hindu culture in an Islamic country. So I wanted to see the differences in aesthetics and gardening, and it didn't let me down.

With only a few days there, we didn't have a lot of time, but we went on a tour of their batik, carving and silver crafts. They were really beautiful - and amazing. I learned that in their weaving the woven pattern is pre-dyed onto the thread before it's woven and as I'm not a weaver and don't know how it's done, it just blew me away. How do you 'see' the picture in a long line - without computers? Now that's magic.

As we were taken around and walked about the place, we saw a lot of little gardens. A lot of them were hidden behind gates and walls and you'd only see glimpses of them as you went past. I've always loved that idea of a 'secret' garden that you could see just a little into. The gates themselves were also beautiful and made gorgeous frames for the small paradises within. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.





They use sandstone, limestone and volcanic rock for their sculptures. I'll put up more photos next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment