Thursday 19 May 2011

Up-side down tomato update

Sadly, my up-side-down tomatos weren't successful. They all died just this week. I think there were a couple of reasons for this.

1. The original plants weren't big enough. They were quite small and curled up to reach the light. Then, when they started to get bigger, they snapped as their weight pulled them down.

2. I found it hard to control the water intake. I hadn't used a good quality soil that retained water, so as I poured water in the top, it seemed to pour out the bottom.

Now, I have to learn my lessons and try again in the future. I still have some tomato seedlings left. They're small right now, so I'll have to wait until they're bigger. I'll also have to get some better soil and perhaps put some of those silicon balls in that hold water. Tomatos are very thirsty plants and need a constant water supply. They don't like drying out at all.

So, next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment