Sunday 22 May 2011

Japanese Paper Roses

When we went to Sungei Buloh to get plants a few weeks back, both my daughters wanted to get roses. I wasn't so keen as they are very difficult in a tropical country, but they wheedled me into it, so we came home with three traditional roses and two hybrid plants which the vendor called a Japanese Paper Rose.


The paper rose has a beautiful flower which looks just like a rose, but the plant is quite different. The traditional rose is quite bushy and has woody stems. They most often come up from one stem and branch off from that. The paper rose, on the other hand, looks more like an annual. All its stems come straight up out of the soil and don't branch off. The stems aren't woody either. They are herbaceous and thornless. In that regard, I think they won't last longer than a year.


As you can see, the leaves come out straight from the main stem itself without any small one of its own. It looks more like a sweetpea leaf.

We've tried to find out information on the internet about them, but haven't succeeded yet. Frances did find out a lot of information about traditional roses of course, sadly none of it about growing them in a tropical country. All the same, there was a lot of practical information that could be applied to them wherever they are.

1. They like well-drained soil. They don't like sitting in water, but they want a lot of it passing through. Frances solved this by getting an IKEA metal kitchen shelf with holes in it and putting a container under it.

2. They like lots of sun, but no heat.

3. They also like circulating air, but no direct breeze on them.

4. They don't like sharing their pot or space.

5. They like rain on them or a spray from time to time.

6. Regular fertiliser

So fussy!

She has got them in her window which gets afternoon sun and she leaves her fan on low to circulate the air.

She says that they responded well at the beginning, but they seem to have paused in their growth. She says that the soil is very wet even with it being drained. I wonder if it needs to dry out a little before the next watering because of the local humidity. I looked up on http://scvrs.homestead.com/WaterAndRoses.html and it mentions that they like a lot of water, but less in high humidity. So, it might pay to give a little less. We'll see. It also mentions that it's good to add a mulch to the top, such as bark. I might have to look into that. The mulch inhibits evaporation, helps keep the plant roots cool and provides nutrients.


This shows how the two types of roses look quite different. The new hybrid is on the right. You can see the metal shelf that Frances uses too.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beauty! New to me. The macro shot of the gorgeous Jap Paper Rose is awesome, Nicola! Lovely details and I especially like the colours. It seems to be budding well... may it flourish and bloom profusely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqueline. Isn't it gorgeous. It's definitely a hybrid of some kind. Really lovely. We were enraptured immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to find the name of this flower, I love them! I find them randomly at the grocery store here in Japan and a florist once told me they were something that translated "chinese bell flower" but I looked that up and that's not right. If anyone finds more info on this plant, please post it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Sorry to take so long to reply. I've been finding it hard to find the right name too. I was given the name in my title, but when I googled it, I couldn't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I found your blog while looking for the right name for these flowers. I found out what these are already! Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Sorry to take so long to answer. I'm going to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been searching for the name of this beautiful flower for more than 2 weeks!! Thanks Tramadol for putting me out of my misery :)

    ReplyDelete